Monday 11 March 2013

Ten-Thousand Hours

Currently, one of my favourite artists is Macklemore & Ryan Lewis; I love their thoughtful, and thought-provoking, lyrics as well as their catchy beats. Their newest album The Heist is fantastic through-and-through, but one song in particular speaks to me most. Ten-thousand hours- it's about the concept that if you work hard at something for ten-thousand hours, then you become something of an expert in that subject. Malcolm Gladwell discusses this concept in his book The Outliers, which, by the way, is also fantastic.

My favourite lyrics from the song sum up the idea really well, I think, and are also really inspiring...


Practice makes perfect, and it's okay if in the beginning you aren't very good. With hard work and dedication, you can achieve your dreams. 

I plan on hanging this image in my office, in a black frame, just like my two other, recent, decor posts: "I Can't Do This; But I'm Doing It Anyway"; and "We Are The Makers Of What's Next". For this image, I simply Googled the base photo of black alligator skin (The Heist's album cover is also black alligator skin), and added the text in Photoshop. Easy-peasy. 

What songs do you listen to for motivation? 

No comments:

Post a Comment